Dr. A.A. Churkin Chief Psychiatrist, Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation
Hyperbaric oxygenation is indicated in a wide spectrum of mental illnesses, including the following:
- A variety of mental disorders connected with vessel damages with hypoxia; which occurred due to brain trauma with hypoxia of brain tissues; due to chronic or acute intoxication (chronic alcoholism, alcohol-related psychosis and barbiturate intoxication).
- Certain forms of schizophrenia.
- Endogenic affective psychosis (long-term sub-depressions and depressions).
- Neurasthenia and other functional and somatogenic dysfunctions with a decrease of bio-energetic potential and cerebral cortex tone in pathogenesis.
- Asthenic disorder within neurasthenic syndrome of different genesis.
- Psycho-organic syndrome.
- Psycho-organic syndrome. Using HBO had a positive effect on speech and movement disorders, which accompany this syndrome.
- Korsakov’s syndrome of intoxicative, vascular or traumatic genesis with the symptoms of fixation amnesia, retro-amnesia, disorientation with amnesia, para-amnesia, euphoria and depression.
- Alcohol abstinence syndrome (particularly in patients with chronic alcoholism and atherosclerotic damage of brain vessels and heart, and also in patients with contra-indications to psychotropic drugs).
- Hyperbaric Oxygenation can be used to remove the symptoms of mental and physical overstrain after stressful work and in extreme situations in otherwise healthy people.
- Increased sensitivity to oxygen.
- Epilepsy or epileptic fits of any genesis.
- Cysts in lungs. Bronchial fistula.
- Acute forms of laryngitis (otitis, frontal infections, antritis, Eustachian tube disorders)
- Heavy forms of hypertension, cerebral thrombosis.
- Dysfunction of Eustachian tube and nasal passages.
- Acute inflectional diseases.
Click (here)[http://www.hyperbaricoxygentherapy.org.uk/resources/docs/USE_OF___HYPERBARIC_OXYGENATION_IN_PSYCHOTHERAPY_contra_ind.pdf] to view the paper.